Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Revelations are such Wonderful things: Library Thing and I, Take 2

 T oday I finally took the time to actually sit down and fiddle with my Librarything catalog and am amazed with the results and embarrassed over my past deductions of it. I have found that not only does Librarything supply the call number for most books, it also allows you to customize the way you view and sort your information so that you can have a complete catalog that meets your needs. Huzzah! Not only will this save me a ton of time by not requiring me to search Worldcat, it also allows me to sort my books by call number order! I am so thrilled and can't recommend the site enough.

So, the plan now is to use the tag area to list "collection" information. An example of what I mean by this is the tag "Craft." If this tag is given it means that this book is in my craft area, on a bookshelf there. So far I only have three categories, "Craft," "General Collection," and "Special Collection." I hope to keep the division of areas minimal, so I think only having three will suffice for me.

The other great feature I found today was that I can decide how the list is displayed and ultimately printed. This was very exciting because it allowed me to realize that the LC Classification can be shown on my list and I can sort by it. Thus my view of the catalog is now set with these specifications:
Small picture of cover, Title, Author, Tags (collection information), LC Classification, and Date.

I know that this process has everyone on the edge of their seats...so be sure to check back soon for more updates and possibly more admissions of how quickly (and wrongly) I jump to conclusions.

*cap supplied by Jessica Hische at DailyDropCap

1 comment:

  1. are you sure you're my daughter? how did i ever birth someone so organized and "with it?"

    ReplyDelete