Wednesday, May 19, 2010

A Tack-tful way to Spruce up Bulletin Boards

Okay, okay, I know that the title for this post is a bit over-the-top, pun-o-refic, but I couldn't help it!! I am so excited about the tacks I made last night and how fun they make my bulletin boards. They are a great way to add color and personality without having to do something a little more complicated, like cover the cork in fabric or the likes.

Making tacks is just as easy as covering buttons, you only need to add a couple steps. The supplies you will need are fabric, flat and round topped tacks, flat-back buttons with pusher and "button well" aka base (you want to make sure they are a size that will fit the tacks well, I used 1/2 inch and it was a match made in heaven), craft glue, and of course scissors.

Supplies (after covering the buttons):















The first thing to do is to cover the buttons with your favorite fabric. I used some of the leftover fabric from the scarfette I made...which matches my craft space quite delightfully.

A jumble of flat-backs:















Next you want to put your craft glue in the dip in the back of the button and press the flat part of the tack down on top of it. While I know it doesn't seem like it matters whether you put the glue on the tack or the button, I found that it did. When I put the glue on the tack instead of the button they didn't really stick together because you can't coat the tack like you can the button dip...and so I impart that wisdom onto whoever may read this.

 With those steps done the next is just to wait for the glue to dry. I would suggest waiting 24 hours, although I will admit that I only waited a few before I put the tacks on my bulletin boards...but I was sure not to yank on them or anything. 

Close up time:















With all of that hard...hard work done you can now relax and let your tacks sit pretty and do all the hard labor!! I know I absolutely adore how they make my craft space both look better and feel all the more craftier!!

Tacks in Action:















 Oh, just one more shot:















And I promise, I am working on getting better at taking pictures!!!

1 comment: