Friday, June 18, 2010

The Madness Continues: An Army of Covered Buttons!

 Okay, so I know I have been pretty lax in posting lately, but I have been spending most of my spare craft time on knitting a baby blanket and so really haven't been doing much else. Maybe you can forgive me then for posting another project that you can do with covered buttons.

I have become pretty picky about what kind of jewelry I will wear. I really like my jewelry to be simple, yet still say something (even if it is just "look at this cute animal!"), but I refuse to pay an arm and a leg for a very basic piece of jewelry. Seeing as how so many sellers find it necessary to charge exorbitant prices for such cheap (and I mean cheap literally, not as a comment on the aesthetics of the jewelry) items has led me to try and make my own jewelry. While this process hasn't been going all that quickly, I have made only about three items, it is one that makes me really happy with what I am wearing because it is custom made for me and doesn't cost a ridiculous sum of money.Thus, covered buttons are a perfect addition to my jewelry arsenal.

With covered buttons I can buy any fabric that I like and turn it into a cute, simple, and perfectly coordinated  piece of jewelry. With an awesome fabric from Purl Soho sitting in my supply box and a few earing backs in my drawer I decided to just go to town and make a couple pairs of earings.

As I have already outlined how to make the covered button (in this case a flat back), all the wisdom left for me to impart is to instruct you to glue the buttons onto the earing back and let sit for 24 hours and then wallah! you are done! I used just a standard jewelery glue from Michaels and this type of earing back (although you can of course chose the type you want, just make sure the setting size and button size match well enough) that I got from the Etsy supplier Softcover:

















I made sure the earings I made would match outfits that I already had and am really thrilled with the outcome:

















I added a little flair to the house set by making the other one a red topped house and the sheep earings were just perfect for Stitch N' Pitch (sorry the picture is so blurry)!
























So, I guess all that is left to say on the matter is Go forth and create!


*cap supplied by Jessica Hische at DailyDropCap 

No comments:

Post a Comment