Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Adventure of Library Thing and I: Cataloging one Book at a Time

After years of grappling with the idea I have finally decided that I must begin the task of cataloging the Mr. and I's books. I really wanted to use Library of Congress call numbers for this because, while I know it has its issues, I needed a uniform set of rules to follow - and after trying to create my own and spending a couple of very frustrating days surrounded by books and index cards, I gave up. Since I don't have access to OCLC I decided the best way to do it would probably be to start a Library Thing catalog, and instead of subject tags put the LC call number. I am looking in WorldCat for the call numbers and then copying and pasting the info. This might not be a perfect system, but it seems to be working pretty well. Since this is such a large project and very book related I thought I might try to chronicle its progress here.

First and only fun fact of the day: I am 1 of only 6 people on Library Thing who own Benjamin Franklin, Jonathan Edwards, and the representation of American Culture!

1 comment:

  1. This is such a good idea! I've seen some libraries catalog their zines on Library Thing as well. Librarians rool.

    ReplyDelete